Pulteney House is a Grade 2 listed building (-A particularly important building of exceptional interest and of outstanding importance ) built of Bath stone locally quarried from the limestone quarries on the hills of Bath ( probably Combe Down ).
Only a small proportion of buildings in Britain (about 2.5%) are listed by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport as being of special architectural or historic interest. Listing protects an irreplaceable part of our cultural heritage from unsympathetic changes and unnecessary destruction.
All buildings listed before 1700 which survive in anything like their original form are listed as most are built between 1700 and 1840. Between 1840 and 1914 the range of buildings listed becomes more selective. More recent buildings of special character may also be listed. The house was built in 1852 as a private town house with provision for servants to look after the needs of their employers.
Stables were built at the back of the property to house at least 2 horses, probably more, with rooms above for the stable hands to live in. The original stable building was converted into what is now the Coach House in the 1980’s and is an annex for the main building.